Thursday, January 21, 2016

Afflicted, not Crushed


Another hard.
Another opportunity for trust.
Another application, another prayer - no a plea, a BIG BEG!

Twelve Marines lost; the rescue effort suspended. Even closure is an exercise in trust.

I'm remembering the words I penned last week. Oh how I need them again.

I never met Major Shawn Campbell personally. But his mother-in-law, Lexie is a good friend; his sister-in-law, Christie is a blogging buddy; his brother-in-law, Brian I've know since his teen years.

I hurt, I grieve, I cry with my friends who are part of my extended family because of Jesus. I hang on words written on Facebook like these from Jonathan, Christie's husband ...

"To the Coast Guard and Navy. Thank you. Thank you for fighting rough seas, fatigue and hunger in order to search for my brother (in law), Shawn Weber Campbell. Your constant prayers and passionate searching have been fuel for our hope during the dark hours of this night.
To the Marines who love so well. Thank you. Thank for cooking, cleaning, washing laundry and doing the daily work that the burden of grief makes so very difficult to carry.
Major Shawn Campbell, his wife Kelli, and their family.
To friends and family. Thank you. Thank you for your constant prayers, thoughts and words of encouragement. They are fresh water for parched souls."

And I look for hope.

Ever so gently God taps my shoulder. I have a message for you delivered by Paul in his second letter to the Corinthians. I turn to chapter 4; these are words for my parched soul.

God knows; God is present; God cares. Even when some of the words seem harsh, their gentle truth comforts. 

Will I trust them?

Truth from verses 8 - 11 ...
We are afflicted - not crushed;
perplexed - not driven to despair;
persecuted - not forsaken;
struck down - not destroyed;
 given over to death for Jesus sake - so that the life of Jesus may be manifested 

Backing up to the words of verse 7 ...
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, 
to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us."

I don't get it; it really shouldn't be (I almost feel guilty). The treasure of peace is settling in this jar of clay, delivering courage, and grace extending to more and more.

Will you please join me in prayer for Kelli and her children
 and the rest of the Campbell family
as they walk through the valley of the reality of death?

"So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."
II Corinthians 4:16-18 

What scriptures minister to your heart in the midst of your hards?
What other truth encourages you from II Corinthians 4?












No comments:

Post a Comment