Thursday, June 11, 2015

On the Receiving End

One of the gifts of California is hills--yes, even in Los Angeles many vantages draw my eyes to hills.

Hills seen from the LA hospital window.
"I lift up my eyes to the hills. 
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth".
Psalm 121:1

These pictures of creation nourish.

The second hospital, the one with a Santa Monica address, looks out to the Pacific Ocean, a mere 15 blocks away. During those days I often stole glimpses of that work of God.

One afternoon we stopped at the beach. The sound of the waves, the feel of the sand, the smell of salt air, a gift to delight the soul.

Like Elijah, God entrusted me with a new assignment for this summer. And like Elijah, I'm stumbling forward--my humanity shining--sometimes with tears threatening to spill.

Many have come and blessed us with their love, their prayers, their meals (That chocolate cake may be the best I have ever tasted!), and even new pj's. I'm learning the humility of receiving. 

Texts, emails, and phone chats--love gifts from across the miles. Each bringing a new deep breath.
Enjoying a few minutes at the beach with Judah.
Many friends are bringing God to me. They text a scripture or send a link to a favorite praise song. These special ones are a life line.

The patience of our grown-up kids has amazed. Patience while waiting for the next test result, or the next talk with a doctor. Patiently loving on their other two little ones. Patience with me who might not do things the same way they do. Their patience creates an atmosphere of calm. It is good.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
ad he will make straight your paths".
Proverbs 3:5 and 6

I'm seeing this lived out.

I'm learning ...
1. Little ones have the same love needs (security, significance, acceptance, attention, protection, relationship) as adults. I'm on the front line.
2. I too still need moments of quiet. I'm trusting them to PBS and Sesame Street for a while each day.
3. Please ask me, how am I living ... not how am I doing. Thank you Kara. Your life continues to minister.

As this journey commenced, I penned these words ...

The story is young,
    The chapters are few.
But the force of the intro
    like a strong wind that blew.

The smiling happy baby
    connected to machines,
The picture raising questions
    as we wait and remember dreams.

The ER, the admission,
    medical tests galore,
The ambulance, the transfer,
    the fears, more and more.

But if not for this journey
    would I ever know,
The support of community
    new paths for love to flow.

But if not for this journey
    would I have tackled this step?
The stretching of growth
    inclining toward trust.

The story still young,
    the chapters still few
perspective from God,
    hope springs anew.

 "Our soul waits for the Lord;
he is our help and our shield.
For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us,
even as we hope in you."
Psalm 33:20-22

Would you pray for us that we live out these verses?

What encourages you in your times of hard? How do friends minister? How does the Word speak to your hearts?



2 comments:

  1. Praying for you. How ARE you living? How is your sweet grandson doing? I pray for peace for you all as you live out your faith.

    The poem is very touching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally,
      Most of the time I'm living well. God gives new insights as new circumstances come to us. I know you well know.
      love you, sue

      Delete