Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mom, Me, and Treasured Moments




Me and Mom, February 2015
We sat on her bed that winter evening knitting together. Mom a cabled hat for
my sister creating the pattern as she went. Me a sock religiously following my printed pattern. I don't think I'll ever have her natural knitting abilities.


Memories flooded back. I was about 8 years old (I think). Mom sat on my bed that evening. We weren't knitting but we were reading together - one of my favorite detective series, Nancy Drew. It is a good memory, Mom and me enjoying and doing together. 

Mom and I still love a good thriller.

Knitting, or reading, or sewing, or scouting, I have many Mom and me treasured moments.

Mom is in her tenth decade now. What a gift that we are still creating Mom and me moments. In February it was knitting together; last week it was shopping together for new valences for Mom's living room. And it was trying out a new (to us) Chinese restaurant - just Mom and me. (I wish I snapped a shot of our dinners, we needed a take-home box.)
I never did catch on to Bridge which Mom still plays regularly.

Our history informs our current realities. Our best times are being together creating new moments and re-living old memories. 

Thank you Mom for many many treasured moments and many many treasured memories. I am blessed. 
Mom and me last week.



"Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
She looks well to the ways of her household,
Her children rise up and call her blessed;"
excerpts from Proverbs 31 (Italics mine)



No comments:

Post a Comment