Thursday, July 31, 2014

Unscrewing My Big Toe








“We all need space, time, and place to ponder our Rubber band balls.”

That’s what August is for us—for Bill and me.

It is space to listen for the voice of God without the hammers of life competing for our attention. It is time away from the normal of life; the mail is on hold; the newspapers have been stopped; the responsibilities of home left behind.                                                                                                And it is a special place away from our home.

It is vacation.

Ocracoke, a barrier island off the coast of North Carolina was where this habit began. Bill loved walking the beach alone each morning. My choice was this wonderful coffee shop. After claiming my brew of the day, I found a comfortable Adirondack chair to be with God.


Then we discovered Los Vados, a rental home tucked in a canyon near Moab, Utah. Los Vados (The crossings … we crossed three streams before finding it.) offered solitude in the midst of the desert. I loved the covered front porch and spent many mornings lingering in desert beauty.




 

Most recently, our Sanctuary provides the haven we need to recharge. The property, an inholding in the San Isabel National Forest, boasts of a sea of green with majestic views of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

All three, places of solitude and silence for us; places to be and places to listen. They are places to connect with God. They are some of my favorite “S-C” places.

 

I remember my friend Carole Mayhall calling places like this, places to unscrew your big toe and let it all flow out. Her picture communicated. And as the all of the busyness of the last year flows out, there is room for the new and the next to come in. Ahhhh, refreshing rejuvenation.





So as Bill and I are away for the month of August, Echoes of Grace is taking its annual vacation along with us. There will be no regular posts during August. But do check in each Thursday for special announcements. And I look forward to reconnecting with you on September 4 with a post about all our many choices.

“He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He
leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” Psalm 23: 2 and 3


I hear it'll cure just about anything. ;)
I hear it'll cure just about anything.

Remember, to check in each Thursday in August. You won't want to miss the invitation you find there.

2 comments: